Thursday, March 24, 2011

Little Henry

Today is a day I have dreaded for some time now. It marks the one year anniversary of the birth and death (in my mind) of what was to be a small-little-boy-bundle-of-joy blessing our family. He was to be Belle's little baby brother who she could feed bottles to, and change his diapers, and change his clothes at least 6 times per day. He was to be Carter's little baby brother who he would teach how to love dirt, trucks, and G.I. Joe, and ride bikes, and play all rough and tuff. Today Henry David would be about 6 months old. If you figure in that all my babies have been born early, he'd be about 7 months old.

One year ago today, Henry was born at home at only 16 weeks gestation. Jer cut the cord. We held his tiny body in the palms of our hands, named him, and counted his fingers and toes....and sobbed.

My heart was broke two million times between the day he was born, and the day he was buried. Then, my heart was broke only one million times between his burial and yesterday.

Today, my heart will break for him one million times more.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh Annie, my heart breaks one million times for both of you. Let me know if you every wanna sit around and hang out, I'm sure we could break a record in terms of heart breaking.

Unknown said...

It's tough to loose a child no matter how old. I'm so very very sorry you had to experience it. If you ever want to talk, I'll listen. Cathy

nurseheather said...

oh my goodness friend, i had no idea at all. i'm so sorry for your loss. it is an event no mother should ever have to endure. take heart in knowing he is in a better place and one day you will wrap him in your arms the way i'm sure you so badly wanted to here on earth. i'm truly sorry for your loss.