Sunday, June 10, 2007

Powers of a Toddler

We thought those glasses were SOOO crazy. Not as crazy as when he wears them with his favorite hat...I think this takes the cake!

So, Friday night started a downward spiral of exhaustion. Unfortunately, I shouldn't be complaining since it was entirely self inflicted...but I'm gonna complain anyway. It all started when Jer and I thought it was a good idea to get a sitter for Isabelle, and he and I would take Carter out to eat on a Friday night. Let me first mention that it was past 6:30pm when we left the house, Carter usually eats BY 6:30, or there is usually hell to pay. I gave him some juice and crackers to tide him over, and he was doing VERY well. We got to the restaurant, and they brought him his milk in a little toddler cup with a straw. We usually bring a sippy cup from home and pour the milk into that. Well, the soooo kid friendly waiter gave the milk in the giant-green-fun-to-look-at-and-play-with-straw-and-cup directly to Carter, and like his sippy cup, he tipped it up, and of course, it all dumped into his lap. Jer and I took it away, put the remaining milk into his sippy cup (where it should have gone in the first place), and gave it to Carter. Except, that's not what Carter wanted. No, no, no, no, Carter now wanted the fun cup with the straw. So I gave it to him, except it was empty. WELL, that was just no good.

This is when I start getting nervous. Nervous that MY toddler will throw a temper tantrum in the middle of a nicely dim lit restaurant, where MY child happens to be the ONLY one there at the time. Surely everyone would stare.....and that they did.

Carter started to whine, and we tried to please him, and he started to scream, and so we took him out of his chair after he was throwing his body backwards almost tipping the whole thing over. I walked around with him, brought him back to the table, put him in his chair, and he screamed. Jer did the same thing, except I was a little bothered by the fact that I could hear my child SCREAMING through out the entire restaurant. Our appetizer came, and I had to tell the waiter that I didn't think we could stay, and we would wait 10 minutes for our STEAKS, (yes, I said a nice yummy dinner of steaks) and could he just box it all up as soon as it was ready. He complied. For the next 10 minutes outside on the busy street, Carter ran up and down the sidewalk happy as a clam. We took our food to go, and ate at home. Talk about DRAMA!

And talk about the powers of a TODDLER!!!

No comments: