Sunday, June 10, 2007

Potty Chair


We've been thinking about teaching Carter about going potty; what it means, what you do, etc. He sees Jer and I "going potty", and he can now say "pee-pee". So I bought him a toddler potty seat to go on top of our regular toilet. (Personally, I will pass on dumping and cleaning out a potty chair). The only downfall to this whole potty thing, is that the bathroom upstairs is under construction, and Carter still needs a bedtime bottle. (yes, I said NEEDS because we've tried to wean him off of it, and we've tried to quit cold turkey, and we've tried water, and we've tried sippy cups. He NEEDS a bedtime bottle or I will die.) And as long as we have to run downstairs real fast to go pee-pee, I don't think we're ready to start potty training. I mean, its kinda unrealistic to think it will work if Carter says pee-pee and I drop what I'm doing, haul him all the way downstairs, get him on the toilet, to have him doodle around and want to play. Or to have him pee on me on the way down. Or to not be able to take him downstairs because I'm feeding Isabelle. Or for him to go pee-pee on the floor, and I run him downstairs to sit on the toilet and tell him to go pee-pee there and not on the kitchen floor, and for him to not get so distracted on the way down that he doesn't make the connection between the fact that he just peed on my floor, and why I want him on the toilet. And secondly, the bottle. He will NEVER wake up from a nap or bedtime dry if he cant get off that darned bottle. ANYWAY, those are my dilemmas. None the less, we do practice sitting on the toilet. I cant justify taking his diaper off for nothing, just to put a new one back on, so he sits on the can with the diaper on. We're just getting comfortable...and according to Carter, you have to read a book (like daddy I'm sure) when you sit on the can. I couldn't believe it when Carter reached around to the back of the toilet, and grabbed the US magazine. I about busted a gut. What a little man.

No comments: