Sunday, July 1, 2007

The baby drinks the bottle???

I nursed Isabelle until I went back to work at 2 months. I had froze TONS of breastmilk, so she got used to the bottle right from the get-go, and we never had a problem. It is really unfortunate for the mommies and daddies out there who have babies that WILL NOT take a bottle, and all they want is the boob.
I visited a friend this weekend who is in this exact situation. Isabelle started to get hungry, we fixed her a bottle, and let me tell you this; I have NEVER see two people in such disbelief that a baby would actually drink from a bottle. I mean, they just couldnt believe that babies REALLY DO drink from bottles with artificial nipples.

I remember as I grabbed the bottle from the kitchen and started walking into the family room with the baby in my arms, that it seemed like they were staring at me, and kinda were following me as to see what would happen....

So I stopped and turned around, and THERE THEY WERE, right behind me, and they said, "okay, lets see how this works"....(I chuckled)...and slowly put the bottle in the babies mouth and she opened her mouth, closed her mouth, and started sucking on the nipple.

"OH-MI-GOD" they said...."look at that. She LOVES it!" and their eyes were all buggin out of their heads, and I picked their jaws up off the floor.

It was as if they had NEVER seen a baby take a bottle before. I think their situation must be more serious than I thought. And so, I'm just glad that is one problem I DONT have.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Either extreme is hard. Emma took a bottle but never got the hang of breastfeeding. By that I mean she would scream her tiny little head off at the mere sight of a breast by the time I gave up. She was 2 days old.